Search engine optimization. It’s an inbound marketing buzzword (buzzphrase? Just kidding). You’ve heard of it, but do you know what it is? Simply put, it’s the process of making sure your web content ranks well with search engines like Google and Bing. The higher content ranks, the higher it’s displayed on the search engine results page (SERP).
Why does rank matter?
Remember all those times you scrolled to page three of the search results to find what you were looking for?
Oh, you never do that? Exactly.
That’s why rank matters. That’s why the goal of SEO strategy is to snag better real estate on the SERP.
How does Google rank content?
When you Google search a phrase or question, Google crawls the massive amounts of content floating around the web and ranks the content by its relevance to your question. The higher your content ranks organically (meaning it’s not influenced by paid advertising), the more traffic is directed to your website.
How do you rank better?
By producing stellar content.
From ebooks and pillar pages to routine blog posts, relevant, engaging content strategy is the heart of smart SEO.
It’s not as simple as focusing all of your content on one keyword. Consider our client Taylor Auto Glass. Taylor Auto Glass went from being unranked in 2015 to now ranking in the top 10 for 45+ keywords nationally, and even higher in local rankings.
But they don’t just rank for “auto glass.” They rank for keywords like:
- Auto glass repair
- Windshield replacement
- Car window repair
They rank for a variety of keywords and phrases, all related to car care, and specifically auto glass care. Now, when users are searching for this information, they find Taylor Auto Glass. Positioned as an industry expert.
What does ranking well do for your business?
- Drives traffic to your website
- Generates more leads
- Boosts purchase conversion
- Builds your credibility by positioning your business as an expert in your industry
After partnering with Nu in 2015, Taylor Auto Glass has published about six blog posts each month. Nu’s SEO strategy:
- Brought in 88% of their website traffic from organic searches from April 2017- April 2018.
- Increased organic search traffic to their website by 1,004% from April 2015 - April 2018. And it’s still growing.
Here are a few of Nu’s winning blog posts for Taylor Auto Glass:
- Ranked #2 nationally for “windshield leak test” and related keywords
- Published February 2016
- 4,400+ views as of May 2018.
- Ranked #6 nationally for “can you pass vehicle inspection with a cracked windshield” and related keywords
- Published September 2015
- 14,000+ views as of May 2018
What is Windshield Pitting?
- Ranked #1 nationally for “pitted windshield” (which gets an average of 200–500 searches each month)
- Published September 2015
- 9,000+ views as of May 2018
Each of these posts continues to drive traffic to Taylor Auto Glass’ website and generates more business for our client. 2–3 years down the road, they’re still gaining traction and boosting Taylor Auto Glass’ visibility and credibility.